Installing AppLocale in Windows 7

=======================
Please read this additional material if you need:
Running Non-English Software on Your English Version of Windows 7 (or Others)

Installing AppLocale in Retail Version of Windows 7 64bit

=======================

Advertisements

It’s been several weeks since I installed a pre-release version of Windows 7 in my home computer. Almost every program I am using frequently runs very smooth in the computer.

Microsoft AppLocale was an exception, until today…

AppLocale is a program that helps you run a non-unicode program in a different locale to what user’s windows system is currently running. For example, if you are using a version of Japanese version of Windows system, but you are trying to run a Chinese Version of particular software, AppLocale can help you on this regard. I have a large quantity of mp3 collections have been tagged in Korean, but I am running windows in Chinese Version, it made most of mp3 tags in iTunes become ill-displayed. So, AppLocale become my favorite!

But under Windows 7, AppLocale could not be installed properly in some reason. I tried to look up some information around the web. I scrapped following tip from http://qna.live.com/ShowQuestion.aspx?qid=A012C78EF7304B50BD7972B5F11F69B9

Here’s how to install AppLocale on Windows 7:
1. Place the AppLocale installer (apploc.msi) in your C: drive.
2. Go to your start menu, type cmd in the search box.
3. Hold down crtl+shift and click on cmd.exe.
4. Select Yes when a dialog asks if you want the program to make chances to your computer.
5. The command prompt should show C:\Windows\System32.
6. Type cd\ and press enter to navigate to the C: drive.
7. Type apploc.msi and press enter, the installer will appear.
8. Install the application.

Update:

As I updated my Windows 7 to latest Release Candidate (Build 7100), I found that it removed my AppLocale. All the AppLocale generated shortcuts are gone, and as I click the AppLocale, it required me to input the original package.

I tried to repeat the same way to install again, but Windows 7 did not allow me the copy the package into C drive. Here is what I did.

1. Click Start, type “cmd” in search box.
2. Right click the “cmd” icon, and select “run as administrator”
3. Copy the apploc.msi into c:\ in DOS command. (e.g. Copy f:\program\apploc.msi c:\)
4. Run “appLoc.msi” by type it in DOS command.

You have to make sure that you opened the DOS command mode in administrator, otherwise it won’t let you copy the file into C drive.

You might also interested in reading: Windows 7 Shortcuts List (Win 7 快捷鍵)

Product Mentioned: Windows 7

This entry was posted in Computer Tips, Windows 7 and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

141 Responses to Installing AppLocale in Windows 7

1. Masashi says:

Wow, very useful. Thanks so much!:)

My JP-Win7 is perfect now.

2. admin says:

@Masashi
    I am glad that it helps!

3. Eclair says:

the problem you’ve faced might be due to lacking authory over your PC.
    try lowering UAC (user access control) to minimum.
    I did install APPLOCALE normal, just like in XP.
    The process you’ve list on your page, has no meaning whatsoever.

4. admin says:

@Eclair
    Your way worked out great in your situation, and my way worked out great in my situation.
    Also people responded positively on the recommendation I made here.

5. Alan says:

How about straight away run the program as administrator??

6. Mr.Wen says:

I did it in my 64 bit Windows 7 RC build 7100 with straight installation.
    But somehow it didn’t worked before.
    If it works OK in your computer, I don’t see any problem running it as admin.
    thanks for your comment.

7. Robert says:

@Eclair

It does if you have UAC at default level. It installs properly following his instructions on even RTM.

Thanks to the poster!

8. Yuki says:

Thank you so much! It worked perfectly! =D

9. C says:

Thanks! It really worked!

10. Mike says:

Wow, it works! A tip to some people… after installing, the program itself may not work unless you run it as administrator. I’m using the default UAC settings, so when I right click it there is no option to run it as administrator. Just hold down Ctrl + Shift and then click it, and accept. There ya go, the program should work now.

11. simbr says:

I managed to install it by right clicking on the .msi file and choosing the “troublshoot compatibility” option.

12. boon says:

I have the PPSstream installed and followed your instruction on installing appLoc.msi.

Yes, it does installed.

However, when I go to Microsoft appLoc folder, select PPStream program, it does not open up at all.

I gotten this:
    AppLocale was unable to launch the specified application.
    Please make sure the application specified is valid.

How do I go with it? Appreciate for the help!

13. Mr.Wen says:

Hello, Boon,
    What is the language of your OS?

14. boon says:

hi Mr Wen, Im using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. English language.

15. Revenos says:

It didn’t initially install for me but running it with the “previous version of windows” compatibility mode fixed it in my case.

16. Mr.Wen says:

Hi, Boon.
    I assume that we are talking about the same software which can be download @ http://dl.pps.tv/
    Please make sure that you got the latest release first.

I got two machines with Windows 7. One with 32bit, another with 64 bit.
    It worked fine with AppLocale. I guess there might be another violation issue with one of your another software…

In fact, there is another way you can try, only if you haven’t tried this before.
    Go to Control Panel -> Regional and Language Option -> Administrative.
    You can see there is an option for “Language for non-unicode programs.”
    Change the value of System Locale into whatever types of “Chinese” you are comfortable with.
    If it works, PPS can be run without AppLocale. and all other Chinese software can run just like in Chinese OS.

17. Pingback: Running Non-English Software on your English version of Windows 7 (or others) « [Blog] Wen Today…

18. boon says:

Hi Mr.Wen,
    We are talking about the same software. I just opened up my PPStream and had it upgraded to the latest version.

When I go to Microsoft AppLocale, I click on that program and had PPStream to open using the AppLocale. At the last stage, I gotten:

“AppLocale is unable to launch the specific application.
    Please make sure the application specified is valid.”

For the 2nd option, appreciated for that guide, but I really need to work it using English, hence I have to skip that tho.

If not, I will reinstall and see how it goes. =)

19. boon says:

Oh.. I have no idea but my PPStream suddenly enable to read Chinese Character! =)

20. boon says:

Hmm.. I realised that I had set the non-unicode program to Chinese, thats why I can see Chinese character on PPStream.

But during installation, all the English became Chinese instead. Is there anyway to bypass that?

I tried to redo the step but still faced the same issue tho. =(

21. Mr.Wen says:

Because you altered value of System Locale into Chinese. therefore PPStream changed language of installation accordingly. You need to change System Locale into English.

22. boon says:

Yeah, I realised on that end. It seem like after switching back to English in Sys Locale, my opening of PPStream using Microsoft Applocale come back to the same situation. Wording seem to be in “?”. Sigh, I have no idea what is the wrong step I did.

23. akria says:

worked perfectly. all u had to do was place apploc in ur drive then run cmd in adminstrator and type in apploc.msi like in the instructions and it installed fine. do note you should right click on app locale and go into property and then click on compatibility tab and check the “run as an adminstrator” box and click apply. should work perfectly fine. i have my uac set to default, i use to turn it off for vista but im runnin windows 7 64 bit and this seemed to get the job done now.

24. Marco says:

Thanks for the useful tips. Ctrl-Shift Command Prompt also resolve my AppLocate installation at Windows 7 x64.

25. steven cheong says:

thx! helpd a lot!

26. Jedai says:

For PPS, changing the language to Chinese (Simplified, PRC) at Region & Language –> Administrative –> Language for non-unicode programs WORKS for Windows 7 32 bit.
    Thks for the tips!

27. Kuru says:

Your solution was perfect for my new nb which has windows 7 on it.
    I couldn’t install it without being interrupted by the error popup during installation.

Thanks very much.

28. Arado says:

That’s very usefull Thank a lot!

29. Ryan says:

Thanks a lot!! It really works for me!!!

30. Hi there.
    Great installation help…thanks, fixed my problem.
    Anyone reading this guys stuff should bookmark it.

31. JackyC says:

How about just right click => properties => Compatibility => Run this program under previous version
    I use traditional chinese windows so I tried my best to put that in English.
    Use some imagination and you’ll know which tab/box i’m talking about =)

32. jarryidle says:

JackyC:

Your method solved my problem with PPS.
    I used to have the same problem as boon:“AppLocale is unable to launch the specific application.
    Please make sure the application specified is valid.”
    Once I changed the compatibility property to WinXP SP3, I had no trouble to launch PPS. Many thanks to both JackyC and Wen!
    BTW, I’m using win7 Home Premium 64x. English version.

33. chaw says:

Dear Mr Wen,

TQ very muz for ur guideline. I had used ur second way: thru control panel. It’s work!

34. woody15 says:

This used to be a permanent solution on an old computer of mine running Windows 7. I would simply double click PPStream and it would open and display Chinese characters perfectly. Now that I have bought a new computer and set it up with Windows 7, I cannot get the applocale fix to stay permanent. Every time I open PPstream I have to locate apploc on my computer, run it as administrator, go through the apploc steps and then select PPstream to open it. Does anyone know what I may have done differently? How can i fixe this?

35. Mr.Wen says:

Woody15,
    Have you tried to change your System Locale to Chinese? Please see if following article will help you.

36. TheHeroZackFair says:

Thank you so much! <3

37. OukaYukihara says:

really helpful. thanks for sharing ;D

38. slash says:

39. Zephyrite says:

Wow, this worked perfectly, unlike everything I’ve been having to do with other things tonight! Thank you so much!

40. Linda says:

This really works! Thanks! It’s so helpful

41. Vivian says:

I’m really appreciate your useful help here!!!
    good work!

42. Axs says:

Thanks for post this, it works! I appreciate your effort and work!

43. Xeglin says:

You’re the man.

44. Vinicius says:

Ty very much for the tip (y)

45. Lucas says:

yes it worked, thanks for the help man

46. Darren says:

Thx!! at last it successfully installed

47. Ted says:

Thank You! I’m going to guess that the issue was that it needed to be run as an administrator but there’s no way to do that by right clicking the installer itself.

48. Great tutorial. I have already bookmarked this for future reference. Thanks.

Stephanie

49. BENOOI says:

I found another way to install Microsoft Applocale on Window 7.

1)Right click on the installer.
    2)Select Properties > Compatibility.
    3)Mark the selection of “Run this program in compatibility mode for”.
    4)Select on “Previous version of Windows” as long as there is only one selection.
    5)Click Ok and continue to the installation.
    6)You’ve done!

50. Biohazard701 says:

I have the OEM, and I did this without copying it to C: ( I just left it in my users folder), and it worked just fine.