Using Netgear WN111v2 USB Wireless Adapter in Windows 8 (Driver Info)

So when someone leaked Windows 8 Enterprise N Edition (Build 9200) on file sharing site, I thought it was a good opportunity to try the final version of the OS ahead of most of people. Although thus far, no work around is available for the product activation, but even a 30 days of trial period is worth it.

First problem I encountered is that my Netgear USB Wireless Adapter WN111V2 did not work. Official driver for Windows 7 downloaded from netgear’s website won’t work. It keeps saying that waiting for me to plug the adapter, even the adapter is already plugged.

I am so glad that I did not completely wipe my Windows 7 (I am using dual systems now).

With couple searches on google and previous experience in installing drivers. I found this method to fix the problem. Here are steps you need to take.

1. If you still keep your Windows 7 or any previous version of Windows, go to the system drive (for most of people, that is C Drive), find “Program Files” (If you are using a 64bit Windows, that will be “Program Files (x86)”, find “Netgear”, find “WN111v2″, a “Driver” folder should be under the folder. Copy the folder to somewhere where your Windows 8 system can access.
(If you have completely wiped your previous version of Windows, then you need to find any PC, install the official driver downloaded from netgear’s website, it should generate the Netgear folder under the “program files” folder. Of course, you can try this process on your new Windows 8, but I am not sure whether the contents under the “netgear” will work properly.)

2. Now, back on your Windows 8, press “WinKey” + R, on the dialog box, type in “Control Panel” (without quotation marks). Now the control panel should be up in your monitor.

3. Find “Hardware and Sound” –> under the “Devices and Printers” icon, you should see the “Device Manager”, just click it.

4. You should see the hardwares that are not functioning properly have marked with special signs. Your wireless adapter should be one of them (If you have more than one). Right click the Wireless adapter, select “Update Driver Software”, select “Browse my computer for driver software”, then point to the folder where the “Driver” folder you’ve copied from the “Netgear” folder previously. Click next.

5. Now it should work fine.

Please let me know if there is simpler way of work this out or if there is a problem with my tip. Enjoy your Windows 8. Now I am awaiting the work around for the activation.

This entry was posted in Windows 8. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Using Netgear WN111v2 USB Wireless Adapter in Windows 8 (Driver Info)

1. Jake C says:

I saved the transferred the latest driver (http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15564/~/wn111v2-software-version-3.1-%28supports-win7%29) to the desktop via flash drive, right-clicked on the .exe, select properties, click compatibility and select XP service pack 3 and check run as admin box.

2. Daniele from Italy says:

I try to use your info
    Now netgear WG111v3 in my son’s pc with win 8 work well…. :) (now it’s ok)
    Sorry for my bad english….
    :))))

3. Rishi says:

I got my windows 8 RTM release through my MSDN subscription. I installed it the day it came out. I also ran into installation issue with my Netgear wifi dongle, I forgot which model and I am at work now. The windows 7 drivers didn’t work on Win8 and no Win8 driver at that time. Even worst, after installing the drivers when trying to connect to my router I got a blue screen and the pc rebooted.

As workaround I installed the drivers with the compatibility mode set to the windows 7. All good now

4. Mitch says:

Many, many thanks. Of all the posts on using a Netgear WN111v2, this is the one that worked for me. (How anybody is expected to get their new Windows 8 PC working with a WN111v2 without also being fortunate to have a Windows 7 PC available is beyond me :-( ).

5. elyak says:

hi, im having a strange problem, when i first installed windows 8 i managed to install the drivers fine with compatibility setting on.
    i had to uninstall them because the smart wizzard thing was giving me an error message on startup.
    but when i tryed to install them again by “update the driver” in device manager,
    it finds the “rangemax wifi adapter” but give an error . cant find file specified.
    im stumped . i copied the driver folder to my desktop so i know the file is there.
    any one else had this problem?
    thanks :)

6. WEN says:

I think the whole point of my article is copying driver part ONLY, not additional functionality. You can do so by not using originally distributed drivers, because that drivers are for other version of Windows OS.

7. Andras says:

Saved my life! Thank you!

8. slayer says:

So I tried to copy and paste the old netgear folder onto my new windows 8 computer, then under device manager, I hit update on the wn111v2, but it couldn’t find it. I also tried downloading the newest version (3.1) for the netgear adapter (on another computer then transferring it) but when prompted to plug in the device, I did but it said that it can not find it even though the computer recognized it and made the sound when plugged in. I also tried to reinstall it while changing the compatibility to windows 7 but still no luck. Need help please!!!

9. Mateo says:

Anyone can send me the driver folder?

10. Seiishu says:

@elyak – in case you haven’t found solution to your problem yet. I have to say I had exactly the same problem like you. On some machines running Windows 8 going into Device Manager and updating this driver won’t solve anything since the only thing they’ll get, is error message about drivers can’t be found or something along those lines… even though I made 110% sure I copied Driver folder on my desktop, Device Manager won’t install it for some reason.

What I did and instantly solved my problem is, I placed my DRIVER folder (copied from my other Windows 7 machine) to my Desktop. Went into the folder manually (opened it). You’ll find two files with .inf extension inside. Don’t even pay attention to the other files, they are needed for installation, but you do not need to touch them.

So, two .inf files are called:

arusb_win7x.inf
    jswpslwfx.inf

Right click the first one ( arusb_win7x.inf ) and choose INSTALL. It will be installed in no time, instantly without a single error message being thrown at you. Do exactly the same thing with the other file ( jswpslwfx.inf ) and Voila! Your Netgear WN111v2 will start working in couple of seconds.

11. Joseph Swarowski says:

Wen’s method worked even from Windows Vista, thanks for the great information.

12. AL says:

Wen,
    thank you SOOOO much!
    you saved me…. thans again ;-)

13. David Andersson says:

I haven’t got my old Windows 7 computer anymore.
    Could you please upload your folder with the drivers?

14. thayo says:

Thanks a lot :) it just worked fine !

15. fdefi53 says:

does not work with windows 8 64-bit

16. I was having trouble installing my NetGear WN111v2 on a Windows 8.1 64 bit system- same problem as others, it looked like it wouldn’t auto install, no driver available message and a big yellow triangle on the device after the ‘install.’ (As some background, I was trying to install this because the internal Ralink card was flaky.) When the internal card again stopped working and I had neither the internal Ralink nor the WN111v2 working, I had to do a Restore to try to get the Ralink working while I played with the WN. To my surprise after Restore finished the WN was installed and ready to go. I have a feeling it was the reboot that did it, not the Restore- and why I don’t know, but you can try both. (I have a feeling you might need to be connected to the internet at the time of the boot, so you may need to borrow another USB card or use an ethernet cable.)

Someone else reported a similar experience over on the MS Forums- no plug and play install, followed by a sequence where there was a reboot with the WN still in its USB slot, then finding it installed and ready.

17. den says: