Set up 3rd Party wireless router for Time warner Cable (Road Runner)

Update:

I started notice that traffics flow into this article, please reply to let know if it works or not! I want it to be the best tip.

Original:

It is little bit different to set up a 3rd party wireless router for Time Warner Cable.

And nowadays, it is very difficult to get these internet cable companies to do customer support when you setting up your own wireless router FOR FREE. AT&T charges, Time Warner refused to give any piece of advice on 3rd party wireless router back in two years ago… That make sense, because they have no obligation to provide support for the product they didn’t sell.

Most of the Wireless Routers are very easy to setup with. Just choose DHCP mode for the connection type. But in Time Warner cable, you will have to change MAC address settings. What is MAC? That is not an Apple computer, but Media Access Control address. You don’t have to know what that is.

In default, Wireless Routers will be using default MAC address. But Time Warner Cable internet wants routers to use computer’s MAC address. So what you need to do is to find out where this setting related to MAC Address is, and change it into “Use Computer’ MAC address” or “Clone MAC address” or similar values. In my case, NETGEAR WNR2000 – 100NAR router, the setting was hidden under “Basic settings” section. Just select the second option, and in the most of cases, you are good to go!

Capture

This entry was posted in Computer Tips and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Set up 3rd Party wireless router for Time warner Cable (Road Runner)

1. Mr.Wen says:

Hello, I’ve noticed that this article is drawing some traffics.
    Please let me know whether this tip works for you or not, so that I can update it, in case it doesn’t work. Thanks.

2. Pingback: wireless router question - Internet - City-Data Forum

3. Kirk Pepe says:

Unearthed your website via bing the other day and absolutely love it. Continue the truly great work.

4. Rich says:

Thanks a lot for documenting this. Googling ‘netgear wnr2000 time warner setup’ put you at #2.

5. Ryan says:

omg thank you so much you saved me 90 dollars id have to pay to get their bull shit products. i love you!!!! keep up the good work.

6. Caitlin says:

I’ve tried to set up this router 5 different times. This time I tried it with this advice and it still didn’t work. I have a Trendnet router and I set it up using the wizard button “clone MAC address”. Nothin’. *sigh* The hunt continues for a way to have wireless and Roadrunner too.

7. That helped, thanks!

8. Mr.Wen says:

Sorry that I can’t help. I am away from US. Hopefully, you have a solution by now. ^^

9. nick says:

omg omg ty ty

10. russ says:

WORKS GREAT! i think this has to do with the license agreement they have you agree to when you first connect your service. i bet they use the MAC address of the computer to check that you’ve accepted the terms.

11. A.B. says:

Thanks for your informative article. Also thanks for best laugh I’ve had in weeks, re:
    “MAC…………But you don’t need to know what that is. ” Now that, Mr. Wen, is funny as all get out……

12. Cheri says:

You’re awesome. I don’t know who you are or where you’re from, but you’re awesome.

13. Phil says:

Didn’t work for me. I have internet access but can’t connect to email through Outlook Express no matter what I try. I suspect the new Netgear router (WNDR3700) I bought is defective.

14. Roger says:

great! save my day. just a fyi, if your wireless card MAC is not working you can try and copy Ethernet card one, that’s how I got it to work! thank you!

15. Tyler says:

.. Ok this might be a stupid question for y’all who are computer wiz’s.. but what do i do to get to this settings thing?

16. Mr.Wen says:

There is no stupid questions under the sun.
    But can you be more specific about what you are trying to resolve? So that people around here can provide better assistance.

17. Div says:

Roger …. Thank You so very much … You advice worked like a charm …. I thank you so very much man …. I checked the physical address of the time warner modem from “ipconfig /all” command in the command prompt, entered the physical/MAC/Machine Address in the wireless router’s WAN Settings page and voila .. it worked .. Thanks once again

18. mike paget says:

Yes, thank you…that was driving me nuts! Use computer mac!

19. mike paget says:

Oh, and how on earth does this parameter get changed by itself? all other settings were configured the same..wep, etc..there was a storm night before but doubt that could’ve done it..but it clearly shows time warner must use port security on their switches.

20. gregory says:

Well, that seemsto work… I hope this isn’t an underhanded (or the first phase) attempt by Roadrunner to charger per DEVICE hooked up.

Seriously thank you for the help! My wife just spent 2 hours on roadrunner support trying to resolve the issue.

21. Ricky Rawlings says:

it worked! thanks a lot!!